Advocacy and Strategic Partnerships Committee – January–June 2024 Report


The group met 2-3 times this reporting period.

After reviewing the current PLA Strategic Plan, please tell us:

Describe the current work of this committee and how it supports our strategic goals. Include work accomplished, decisions made, and any recommended follow-up actions.
Just ahead of the PLA Conference, the committee's intellectual freedom resources toolkit was published to PLA's website. This work supports PLA's advocacy and awareness goal.

Do you see opportunities to better align committee work with those goals?
At our June meeting, the committee discussed numerous opportunities to more closely align with this goal. I anticipate the incoming Chair to continue to help raise awareness of existing resources and to collaborate with other committees within PLA to make this goal successful.

What recommendations do you have for in-coming committee members? Are there particular streams of
work in progress to be carried over into the new committee year?
(January–June reporting period only)
As a committee we discussed many opportunities. I would recommend the group map out their year as part of the first meeting. This will help the committee set realistic goals that are obtainable. I would also suggest considering subcommittees that can work on projects in between larger committee meetings. I found trying to do everything as one large group slowed our progress. I believe the group is still trying to figure out the best way to be responsive to library needs in this area and establishing priorities will be work that continues into next year.

What specific activities will this committee undertake over the next six months to support that alignment? (July–December reporting period only)

Are there other PLA or ALA committees whose partnership and collaboration would accelerate meeting PLA strategic goals?
Since this committee deals with such an important issue for libraries, I think more interaction from the Board would be helpful. Perhaps a liaison could be assigned to the committee. I also believe there are opportunities to partner with the Committee on Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice as well as the Measurement, Evaluation, and Assessment Committee.

Is there anything else about your committee experience you’d like to share?
Overall I was honored to have this opportunity. I thought the group was passionate and I enjoyed hearing what exciting things were happening in other parts of the country. I do wish I had more time to get more done for membership but getting the toolkit published is something that will live on past my time as chair.

Submitted by Ashley Teagle on 06/07/2024