Committee on Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice – April–August 2021 Report


The group met 1 time this reporting period.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Test_ms
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness

Second Activity
Test_ms
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice

Third Activity
Test_ms
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice, Leadership

Fourth Activity
Test_ms
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice, Leadership, Organizational Excellence

Fifth Activity
Test_ms
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice, Leadership, Organizational Excellence, Transformation

What will your group be working on for the next six months?
Test_ms

Does the group have any policy recommendations, ideas with financial impact, or other items to bring to the PLA Board for discussion or action
Test_ms

Do you have any suggestions for future products or resources (excluding conference programs) to be developed based on your group’s work?
Test_ms

Are there other PLA/ALA committees your group might collaborate with to benefit the work of all?
Test_ms

Have there been any issues related to meeting participation/attendance for any of the group’s members?
No

Is there anything PLA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
Test_ms

Submitted by Test_ms on 08/16/2021

Web Content Working Group – April–August 2021 Report


The group met 0 times this reporting period.

Recent Activities

First Activity
This first activity is only a test to make sure the form is still working after the WordPress site was migrated to a new host.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness

Second Activity
This second activity is only a test to make sure the form is still working after the WordPress site was migrated to a new host.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice

Third Activity
This third is only a test to make sure the form is still working after the WordPress site was migrated to a new host.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Leadership

Fourth Activity
This fourth is only a test to make sure the form is still working after the WordPress site was migrated to a new host.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Organizational Excellence

Fifth Activity
This fifth is only a test to make sure the form is still working after the WordPress site was migrated to a new host.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Transformation

What will your group be working on for the next six months?
This is only a test to make sure the form is still working after the WordPress site was migrated to a new host, so this will be provided later.

Does the group have any policy recommendations, ideas with financial impact, or other items to bring to the PLA Board for discussion or action
This is only a test to make sure the form is still working after the WordPress site was migrated to a new host, so it does not have any recommendations, ideas, or other items at this time.

Do you have any suggestions for future products or resources (excluding conference programs) to be developed based on your group’s work?
This is only a test to make sure the form is still working after the WordPress site was migrated to a new host, so we don't have any suggestions at this time.

Are there other PLA/ALA committees your group might collaborate with to benefit the work of all?
This is only a test to make sure the form is still working after the WordPress site was migrated to a new host, so collaborations will come later.

Have there been any issues related to meeting participation/attendance for any of the group’s members?
No

Is there anything PLA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
This is only a test to make sure the form is still working after the WordPress site was migrated to a new host, so not at this time.

Submitted by Steven Hofmann Test on 08/12/2021

Continuing Education Advisory Group – April–August 2021 Report


The group met 0 times this reporting period.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Good Afternoon

I am writing to introduce our email extractor to you.

First please Google: EMAIL EXTRACTOR SOFTWARE

Then click on our site: https://www.lite14.us/

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to schedule a quick call?

As you can see, we rank at the top!

We look forward to welcoming you as our new customer 🙂

Kind Regards
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice, Leadership, Organizational Excellence, Transformation

Second Activity
Good Afternoon

I am writing to introduce our email extractor to you.

First please Google: EMAIL EXTRACTOR SOFTWARE

Then click on our site: https://www.atompark.com/web-email-extractor/

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to schedule a quick call?

As you can see, we rank at the top!

We look forward to welcoming you as our new customer 🙂

Kind Regards
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice, Leadership, Organizational Excellence, Transformation

Third Activity
Good Afternoon

I am writing to introduce our email extractor to you.

First please Google: EMAIL EXTRACTOR SOFTWARE

Then click on our site: https://emailextractorpro.com/

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to schedule a quick call?

As you can see, we rank at the top!

We look forward to welcoming you as our new customer 🙂

Kind Regards
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice, Leadership, Organizational Excellence, Transformation

Fourth Activity
Good Afternoon

I am writing to introduce our email extractor to you.

First please Google: EMAIL EXTRACTOR SOFTWARE

Then click on our site: https://www.massmailsoftware.com/extractweb/

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to schedule a quick call?

As you can see, we rank at the top!

We look forward to welcoming you as our new customer 🙂

Kind Regards
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice, Leadership, Organizational Excellence, Transformation

Fifth Activity
Good Afternoon

I am writing to introduce our email extractor to you.

First please Google: EMAIL EXTRACTOR SOFTWARE

Then click on our site: https://phantombuster.com/automations/toolbox/6774/email-extractor

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to schedule a quick call?

As you can see, we rank at the top!

We look forward to welcoming you as our new customer 🙂

Kind Regards
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice, Leadership, Organizational Excellence, Transformation

What will your group be working on for the next six months?
Good Afternoon

I am writing to introduce our email extractor to you.

First please Google: EMAIL EXTRACTOR SOFTWARE

Then click on our site: https://www.atompark.com/web-email-extractor/

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to schedule a quick call?

As you can see, we rank at the top!

We look forward to welcoming you as our new customer 🙂

Kind Regards

Does the group have any policy recommendations, ideas with financial impact, or other items to bring to the PLA Board for discussion or action
Good Afternoon

I am writing to introduce our email extractor to you.

First please Google: EMAIL EXTRACTOR SOFTWARE

Then click on our site: https://www.lite14.us/

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to schedule a quick call?

As you can see, we rank at the top!

We look forward to welcoming you as our new customer 🙂

Kind Regards

Do you have any suggestions for future products or resources (excluding conference programs) to be developed based on your group’s work?
Good Afternoon

I am writing to introduce our email extractor to you.

First please Google: EMAIL EXTRACTOR SOFTWARE

Then click on our site: https://www.massmailsoftware.com/extractweb/

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to schedule a quick call?

As you can see, we rank at the top!

We look forward to welcoming you as our new customer 🙂

Kind Regards

Are there other PLA/ALA committees your group might collaborate with to benefit the work of all?
Good Afternoon

I am writing to introduce our email extractor to you.

First please Google: EMAIL EXTRACTOR SOFTWARE

Then click on our site: https://www.atompark.com/web-email-extractor/

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to schedule a quick call?

As you can see, we rank at the top!

We look forward to welcoming you as our new customer 🙂

Kind Regards

Have there been any issues related to meeting participation/attendance for any of the group’s members?
Yes (if yes, PLA will contact you for more information)

Is there anything PLA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
Good Afternoon

I am writing to introduce our email extractor to you.

First please Google: EMAIL EXTRACTOR SOFTWARE

Then click on our site: https://www.lite14.us/

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to schedule a quick call?

As you can see, we rank at the top!

We look forward to welcoming you as our new customer 🙂

Kind Regards

Submitted by Tammie Marconi on 03/10/2021

Public Libraries Advisory Committee – April–August 2020 Report


The group met 1 time this reporting period.

Recent Activities

First Activity
1. Digital issues. The July/August and September/October issues of PL will be digital only. May/June will be a paper, but we will also provide a digital issues as a sort of test run.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Transformation

Second Activity
2. Themes for 2021 – The group discussed possible themes for the 2021 issue, and also story arcs/ ideas for those themes. Here are some ideas:

Theme: COVID-19 and Public Libraries
Article ideas for this theme:
Virtual programming ( what libraries did and will keep doing in this arenaO
Pandemic policies and procedures created for next time
Advocacy and messaging during the pandemic

Theme: Funding
Article ideas for this theme:
Gaining political support
Grants
Back to basics

Theme: Partnerships
Article ideas for this theme:
IMLS Cares Grant and reaching parts of community not normally reached
Partnering to get messages out to vulnerable groups

Theme: Antiracism/Social Justice
Article ideas for this theme:
Fostering antiracism at the library
Alexandria (VA) working to bring attention to a past history of lynchings.
Equal Justice Initiative work (related to above I think, but also in general)
How libraries can be good allies

Theme: Emotional and Psychological Well-Being Staff
Article ideas for this theme:
Emotional cost
Burnout and stress involved with serving the public
Furloughed staff financial and emotional assistance

Theme: The library's role in Economic Recovery
Article ideas for this theme:
Helping people complete govt assistance forms like welfare, food stamps, unemployment, etc.
Providing job and career information services
Theme: Staff training
Article ideas for this theme:
3 perspectives on libraries and how they do their staff training
Secrets to training
Developing an overall training plan
How to become a better trainer
The reluctant trainer
speaking tips
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice, Leadership, Organizational Excellence, Transformation

Third Activity
3. Ideas for the Insights column. This is a regular column in PL, which offers advice for library problems. The column editor is seeking questions to address. Here are some suggestions from today's meeting:
How to manage patrons who refuse to social distance and/or wear masks. And related, working with persons with developmental disabilities on social distancing and mask-wearing.
With the onslaught of virtual everything, how do we maintain a connection with customers/patrons.
What is the future of remote work for libraries/librarians? How to manage staff afraid to come back to work.
How to build equity into every segment of the library.
How can my library become more sustainable?
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Organizational Excellence

What will your group be working on for the next six months?
Evaluate impressions of PL digital and decide on future digital issues with the conclusion of the Sept/Oct issue.

Does the group have any policy recommendations, ideas with financial impact, or other items to bring to the PLA Board for discussion or action
Not at this time.

Do you have any suggestions for future products or resources (excluding conference programs) to be developed based on your group’s work?
Not at this time.

Are there other PLA/ALA committees your group might collaborate with to benefit the work of all?
Not at this time.

Have there been any issues related to meeting participation/attendance for any of the group’s members?
No

Is there anything PLA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
Kathleen does such an excellent job providing encouragement and leadership, we have what we need.

Submitted by mary rzepczynski on 09/05/2020

Measurement, Evaluation and Assessment Committee – April–August 2020 Report


The group met 2-3 times this reporting period.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Project Outcome (PO) case study subcommittee reviewed the PO UX survey findings and brainstormed possible case study topics based on these findings, interviewed library staff for the purposes of developing a new case study, and drafted the case study.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Leadership

Second Activity
Technology Survey subcommittee reviewed survey draft and made recommendations for changes based on the pandemic.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Leadership

Third Activity
Typology subcommittee met to provide feedback on the typologies, with an eye toward helping PLA communicate the typologies in an accessible manner to practitioners.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Leadership

Fourth Activity
Raising Awareness subcommittee created a webpage format for sharing existing public library data resources with the field, committee members are adding resources.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Leadership

What will your group be working on for the next six months?
Publishing new PO case study
Identifying a rural/small library to be the subject of a PO case study
Reviewing and providing feedback on the new data tool that will replace the PLDS
Finalizing the Raising Awareness resource and posting it online
Determining a strategy for sharing the typologies with the field
Providing input on the next round of the Public Libraries' Response to COVID survey
Developing and testing a new PO survey about the use of technology in libraries
Determining how PO resources can be updated to support libraries during the pandemic

Does the group have any policy recommendations, ideas with financial impact, or other items to bring to the PLA Board for discussion or action
Not at this time

Do you have any suggestions for future products or resources (excluding conference programs) to be developed based on your group’s work?
None other than those mentioned above in the planned work for the next 6 months

Are there other PLA/ALA committees your group might collaborate with to benefit the work of all?
CORS

Have there been any issues related to meeting participation/attendance for any of the group’s members?
No

Is there anything PLA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
No – thank you for your support!

Submitted by Linda Hofschire on 09/02/2020

Membership Advisory Group – April–August 2020 Report


The group met 0 times this reporting period.

Recent Activities

First Activity
The group held not face to face meetings due to the onset of COVID. In April, I split up and assigned the new membership list among the group members and Welcome emails were sent. I have no information on if all the members completed the task. I did reach out to my potion of the list and received a few thank you emails back.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness

What will your group be working on for the next six months?
I'm currently no longer on the Connect group page so can't access the group. I've reached out to Samantha to explore the issue.

There will be no face-to-face planned due to most libraries having travel restrictions in place, including my library.

Does the group have any policy recommendations, ideas with financial impact, or other items to bring to the PLA Board for discussion or action
None

Do you have any suggestions for future products or resources (excluding conference programs) to be developed based on your group’s work?
None

Are there other PLA/ALA committees your group might collaborate with to benefit the work of all?
N/A

Have there been any issues related to meeting participation/attendance for any of the group’s members?
No

Is there anything PLA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
Maybe a vaccine for the virus. 🙂 The restrictions of the virus is what has hindered our work, as it has everyone.

Thank you.

Submitted by Helen Rigdon on 08/30/2020

Task Force on Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice – April–August 2020 Report


The group met 4-6 times this reporting period.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Twitter Chat Series:
To date, our Task Force has hosted a Twitter Chat series focused on health inequity, diversity in library staffing, and community engagement. We continue to work on additional issue-based chats to present to library workers. The purpose of these chats is to encourage librarians and library staff to begin to consider the significance and importance of these topics through a Post-Covid lens. As each of us begins thinking of how to safely and fully reopen our libraries, we want issues of EDISJ to be a focal point for these upcoming and ongoing conversations.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice

Second Activity
PLA Magazine Articles:
The task force has been given the opportunity to contribute a monthly column to the Public Libraries magazine. This column enables us to highlight issues and concerns as they relate to EDISJ.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice

Third Activity
PLA Statement and Call to Action for Public Library Workers to Address Racism:
While this may not be considered an activity… our collective work on this statement reflects our commitment to supporting all public library workers in addressing systemic racism. This statement acts as a compass for how we will develop new opportunities to serve the profession.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice

What will your group be working on for the next six months?
We will continue to host our Twitter Chats. This platform has enabled us to build an information sharing network as it relates to EDISJ. We’ve also been able to act as a connector- introducing library workers to others who have shared interests, shared work, and shared ideas.

We look forward to working with and supporting PLA Leadership Academy on a training that centers EDISJ work. The committee will also continue to contribute our monthly column to Public Libraries magazine.

While we’ve had to shelve our highly successful, in-person training, with Mia Henry – Social Justice and Public Libraries: Equity Starts with Us, our goal is to identify ways in which we can implement a successful virtual training.

Does the group have any policy recommendations, ideas with financial impact, or other items to bring to the PLA Board for discussion or action
As a Task Force we have two concerns:

1) We believe that we have moved beyond the Task Force designation and should become a committee. Task Force work is often targeted, short term and focused on one specific issue. We recognize that our work is long-term, frequently evolving, and requires consistent, on-going effort and attention. To that end, we are asking to become the PLA EDISJ Committee.

2) This work is too big, too important to move forward strictly by committee members who meet once-monthly. Social Justice and equity, diversity, and inclusion are more important than ever before. As hard as we are working on fostering conversations, providing information, and building a network of supportive, engaged, and fully invested librarians and library professionals, we need greater support. We believe that this work could be furthered by a full-time staff member who is dedicated solely to this work.

Do you have any suggestions for future products or resources (excluding conference programs) to be developed based on your group’s work?
PLA EDISJ Task Force Equity Toolkit. This kit should feature a lexicon, conversation starters, activities, and more.

Are there other PLA/ALA committees your group might collaborate with to benefit the work of all?
We’d love to collaborate with BCALA, APALA, AILA, REFORMA, JCLC, CALA, and any other library organizations that amplify the voices of communities of color.

Have there been any issues related to meeting participation/attendance for any of the group’s members?
No

Is there anything PLA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
I think it should be said that the EDISJ Task Force wouldn’t be able to contribute to the level that we do without PLA staff Leighann Wood and Scott Allen. They absolutely provide tremendous and highly appreciated support to our Task Force. With their continued support and the addition of a staff member who is solely dedicated to moving this important work forward, the PLA EDISJ TF could better meet our desired goals.

Submitted by Christina Fuller-Gregory & Lois Langer Thompson on 08/24/2020

Digital Literacy Committee – April–August 2020 Report


The group met 0 times this reporting period.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Advised on the development of a new PLA/Microsoft initiative launched in May 2020, which is providing 80+ library sites with WiFi access points to extend signals during and beyond COVID closures.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice, Organizational Excellence

Second Activity
Since the pandemic, PLA has been promoting DigitalLearn.org on-demand content and services available to members so they can increase their own and their patrons’ digital skills to succeed in a virtual environment.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice, Leadership

What will your group be working on for the next six months?
Creating a plan for updating the Tech Classes available on DigitalLearn.org.

Creating user pathways for DigitalLearn website based on role (user, instructor, and researcher) and add resources for the researcher role.

Brandy McNeil and Chelsea Jordan-Makely will be presenting a session on digital literacy skills at the Computers in Libraries virtual conference in September (rescheduled from March).

Does the group have any policy recommendations, ideas with financial impact, or other items to bring to the PLA Board for discussion or action
Not at this time. Keep advocating for broadband internet access to become a public utility!

Do you have any suggestions for future products or resources (excluding conference programs) to be developed based on your group’s work?
A digital services internship with PLA would be wonderful. Our idea is to work with the ALA accredited library schools to create a “virtual” internship where students could get course credit for helping to vet, update, and manage content on DigitalLearn.org. This could include both the eLearning modules as well as the instructor materials.

Create a DigitalLearn.org Technology Competency learning and evaluation module to add to the Tools for Trainers site for library staffers’ to be able to acquire and test technology competencies.

Monetize Digitallearn.org with different usage categories.

Are there other PLA/ALA committees your group might collaborate with to benefit the work of all?
LITA. Perhaps some of their members would be willing to work with us to help create an evaluation tool for tech competencies?

Have there been any issues related to meeting participation/attendance for any of the group’s members?
Yes (if yes, PLA will contact you for more information)

Is there anything PLA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
No. We had to suspend all committee activities during the last 5 months due to COVID and the need to focus on our individual libraries (hence, the note about attendance above).

Submitted by Monica Dombrowski on 08/07/2020

Advocacy and Strategic Partnerships Committee – April–August 2020 Report


The group met 0 times this reporting period.

Recent Activities

First Activity
We had great plans coming out of PLA – we were going to work on reviving a legal list/blog/community, where participants could ask questions about the law and libraries, with a member of the committee serving as moderator. But due to the Pandemic emergency, I was unable to call a meeting and check in with other committee members.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Leadership

Second Activity
We were also going to look into a possible webinar on how to engage with other local government associations. But again, we had no meeting due to the pandemic, and I do not know where we stand on this.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Leadership

What will your group be working on for the next six months?
trying to reconnect and get back on track for the items that were reviewed and discussed at our meeting at PLA.

Does the group have any policy recommendations, ideas with financial impact, or other items to bring to the PLA Board for discussion or action
No.

Do you have any suggestions for future products or resources (excluding conference programs) to be developed based on your group’s work?
No.

Are there other PLA/ALA committees your group might collaborate with to benefit the work of all?
Leadership Development – as we were trying to engage more with other Government Associations, this might feed into leadership development. It would help new leaders learn about local government groups and organizations that can be valuable in one's career.

Have there been any issues related to meeting participation/attendance for any of the group’s members?
No

Is there anything PLA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
Not really – this period was unproductive entirely due to the Pandemic and the resulting emergency situation.

Submitted by Stephanie Beverage on 08/07/2020

PLA 2020 Conference Program Subcommittee – April–August 2020 Report


The group met 0 times this reporting period.

Recent Activities

First Activity
At the conclusion of the successful PLA 2020 Annual Conference, in Nashville, TN, our committee completed its charge and did not complete any follow-up activities.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Organizational Excellence

What will your group be working on for the next six months?
There are no additional tasks to complete for this subcommittee, however, the committee members could be convened virtually to debrief on insight gained from the 2020 annual conference if PLA staff seek that input.

Does the group have any policy recommendations, ideas with financial impact, or other items to bring to the PLA Board for discussion or action
No, not at this time.

Do you have any suggestions for future products or resources (excluding conference programs) to be developed based on your group’s work?
No, not at this time.

Are there other PLA/ALA committees your group might collaborate with to benefit the work of all?
We recommend continued work with the PLA Task Force on Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice. The task force was instrumental in helping to craft a forward-thinking and socially-minded application process for conference programs. As a result, conference attendees benefited from diverse voices and meaningful conversations about EDISJ topics at the annual conference.

Have there been any issues related to meeting participation/attendance for any of the group’s members?
No

Is there anything PLA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
No, we appreciate the support we received from PLA staff.

Submitted by Juliane Morian on 08/07/2020