Continuing Education Advisory Group – January–June 2024 Report


The group met 0 times this reporting period.

After reviewing the current PLA Strategic Plan, please tell us:

Describe the current work of this committee and how it supports our strategic goals. Include work accomplished, decisions made, and any recommended follow-up actions.
In this reporting period, the Continuing Education Advisory Group reviewed webinar proposals in December/January. Decisions were finalized and notifications sent by PLA to submitters in February. PLA scheduled the webinars between March – August 2024. The webinars support strategic goals of Professional Growth, Transformation, EDISJ, and Advocacy and Awareness through their focus and content. The webinars also support the goal of Organizational Excellence by providing high quality opportunities for continuing education and training from a trusted source.

Do you see opportunities to better align committee work with those goals?
It seems the committee work aligns naturally with the strategic goals. In the past it's been helpful to review the goals as a group before evaluating webinar proposals, which could also help moving forward to keep the goals in mind throughout the review process.

What recommendations do you have for in-coming committee members? Are there particular streams of
work in progress to be carried over into the new committee year?
(January–June reporting period only)
It's recommended that in-coming committee members understand the more independent nature of the advisory group and are able to set aside time to review proposals. The group is well-run and efficient, and depends on individual work and meeting deadlines.

What specific activities will this committee undertake over the next six months to support that alignment? (July–December reporting period only)

Are there other PLA or ALA committees whose partnership and collaboration would accelerate meeting PLA strategic goals?
Gaining input from the EDISJ committee on future proposals to encourage alignment across committees/ organizations.

Is there anything else about your committee experience you’d like to share?
We appreciate the opportunity to have input on continuing education offered by PLA. Everyone has been wonderful to work with, and Angela offers great support and communication as our liaison. Thank you!

Submitted by Krista Riggs on 06/07/2024

Advocacy and Strategic Partnerships Committee – January–June 2024 Report


The group met 2-3 times this reporting period.

After reviewing the current PLA Strategic Plan, please tell us:

Describe the current work of this committee and how it supports our strategic goals. Include work accomplished, decisions made, and any recommended follow-up actions.
Just ahead of the PLA Conference, the committee's intellectual freedom resources toolkit was published to PLA's website. This work supports PLA's advocacy and awareness goal.

Do you see opportunities to better align committee work with those goals?
At our June meeting, the committee discussed numerous opportunities to more closely align with this goal. I anticipate the incoming Chair to continue to help raise awareness of existing resources and to collaborate with other committees within PLA to make this goal successful.

What recommendations do you have for in-coming committee members? Are there particular streams of
work in progress to be carried over into the new committee year?
(January–June reporting period only)
As a committee we discussed many opportunities. I would recommend the group map out their year as part of the first meeting. This will help the committee set realistic goals that are obtainable. I would also suggest considering subcommittees that can work on projects in between larger committee meetings. I found trying to do everything as one large group slowed our progress. I believe the group is still trying to figure out the best way to be responsive to library needs in this area and establishing priorities will be work that continues into next year.

What specific activities will this committee undertake over the next six months to support that alignment? (July–December reporting period only)

Are there other PLA or ALA committees whose partnership and collaboration would accelerate meeting PLA strategic goals?
Since this committee deals with such an important issue for libraries, I think more interaction from the Board would be helpful. Perhaps a liaison could be assigned to the committee. I also believe there are opportunities to partner with the Committee on Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice as well as the Measurement, Evaluation, and Assessment Committee.

Is there anything else about your committee experience you’d like to share?
Overall I was honored to have this opportunity. I thought the group was passionate and I enjoyed hearing what exciting things were happening in other parts of the country. I do wish I had more time to get more done for membership but getting the toolkit published is something that will live on past my time as chair.

Submitted by Ashley Teagle on 06/07/2024

Digital Literacy Committee – January–June 2024 Report


The group met 2-3 times this reporting period.

After reviewing the current PLA Strategic Plan, please tell us:

Describe the current work of this committee and how it supports our strategic goals. Include work accomplished, decisions made, and any recommended follow-up actions.
The Committee met in January and selected 2 goals to focus on in2024. Below are the goals and the work conducted on them.

How can the committee help PLA improve resources for the field.
In May PLA staff arranged a meeting with PL, ALA, ULC , representative libraries and Microsoft to discussed Microsoft change in licensing from educational to nonprofit for libraries. The discussion included both financial and access impacts as well as scalability from small or rural libraries to lager urban systems. This discussion will continue

Increase the visibility of PLA resources and strengthen libraries' ability to advance community digital literacy.
The January meeting included discussions on Digital literacy sessions and preconference sessions at LibLeanx, and PLA. Over 7 sessions were presented at these conferences.
The June meeting will feature the topic Expanding information access for people who are incarcerated with Estelle Yim, Digital Literacy Fellow, San Francisco Public Library as the speaker. FA follow up action from this could be how Digital Learn resources can be utilized for this group

Do you see opportunities to better align committee work with those goals?
Under Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion there are opportunities to provide digitally literacy skills to underrepresented groups by expanding Digital Learn offerings in other languages.

What recommendations do you have for in-coming committee members? Are there particular streams of
work in progress to be carried over into the new committee year?
(January–June reporting period only)
The January meeting included a discussion about the shift from a Commitee to an Advisory Group. A review of the Charter and Project Outcomes was also conducted. This work and change management should continue as the change becomes Effective July 1.

What specific activities will this committee undertake over the next six months to support that alignment? (July–December reporting period only)

Are there other PLA or ALA committees whose partnership and collaboration would accelerate meeting PLA strategic goals?
Communcation with the PLA Technolgy Advisory Group would be helpful in establishing the digital literacy skills needed for emerging technology such as AI and the skillsets needed to participate in society as the pace of technology evolution continues to increase.

Is there anything else about your committee experience you’d like to share?

Submitted by Julianne Rist on 06/07/2024

Measurement, Evaluation and Assessment Committee – January–June 2024 Report


The group met 2-3 times this reporting period.

After reviewing the current PLA Strategic Plan, please tell us:

Describe the current work of this committee and how it supports our strategic goals. Include work accomplished, decisions made, and any recommended follow-up actions.
For the past several years, MEAC’s strategy has been to mainly work in subcommittees, each of which has goals and projects.

The Benchmark subcommittee has provided feedback to support annual development of Benchmark, including recommending improvements to the Benchmark product and providing feedback to PLA staff throughout the development process; and contribute to PLA efforts to increase adoption of Benchmark and subscriber retention, including collecting Benchmark presentation material for use by MEAC members at local and regional meetings.

The Project Outcome subcommittee supported exploring different approaches to user engagement to increase adoption and utilization of Project Outcome within public libraries. The subcommittee provided input on immediate and follow-up surveys for the technology topic, including a promotion plan, and refined promotional work proposals.

The Case Studies subcommittee developed a new process for soliciting and reviewing case studies that support PLA’s data tools. Derived from the model used by ACRL, the new process includes revised case study guidelines, a submission form, and individual roles for committee members in the review process to make the work more streamlined. The subcommittee is currently conducting a pilot to test the process.

The Topical Surveys subcommittee assisted with annual survey promotion and participation; gave input on survey results and provided staff with guidance about which results are of most interest to the field and should therefore be highlighted in reports; and worked with staff to revise and update the instrument for the annual topical survey.

In addition, committee members conducted direct promotion of Benchmark, Project Outcome, and the topical surveys at this spring’s PLA Conference through participation at scheduled drop-ins at the Member Lounge, representing the committee at the Data Lounge, and via individual networking. Committee members also wrote a letter to the PLA leadership, in advance of our transition to an Advisory Group. The letter conveys the contributions that the committee has made to the profession, the progress PLA’s data initiatives have made, the value this work continues to provide to the filed, and the opportunities that lay ahead. Data-informed practices play a crucial role in advocacy and planning for libraries of all types, and we hope that PLA continues to develop its leadership and support in this area.

Do you see opportunities to better align committee work with those goals?
MEAC has used the PLA strategic plan as the basis for all activities. For the coming year we see opportunities to align with the strategic goals in the following ways:
• Advocacy and Awareness
o Increase adoption of impact measurements that convey the true value of public libraries to the communities they serve and help stakeholders make decisions. Collaborate with other ALA divisions to expand data-informed practices.
• Professional Growth
o Increase the field’s understanding of data-informed practices, provide unique and valuable data to professionals, and increase the network of data-focused library professionals to provide support and growth to those innovating in the field.
• Organizational Excellence
o Participate in continuous improvement of PLA’s data products with a focus on increasing value for subscribers. Develop accessible resources to support adoption of PLA data products.

What recommendations do you have for in-coming committee members? Are there particular streams of
work in progress to be carried over into the new committee year?
(January–June reporting period only)
This year, MEAC members spent some time reflecting on the committee’s accomplishments and looking to the future. We are currently working on or intend to work in the following focus areas:

Education – Efforts are under way to produce more webinars, conference presentations, and case studies. Additionally, members are compiling a set of shared resources to encourage MEAC affiliates to present about PLA data products and related topics to local and regional audiences. The committee is investigating opportunities to partner with other ALA divisions, including the Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Social Justice Committee regarding data equity.

Community and awareness – MEAC’s goals include activities to increase adoption of PLA data tools and the practice of impact measurement. In support of these efforts, members are pursuing opportunities to collaborate between ALA divisions and expand the network of MEAAG affiliates. These actions are aimed at a long-term goal of fostering an inclusive, cross-functional community of practitioners to support the growth of data-informed practices in libraries.

Development of resources and standards – MEAC will continue to pursue opportunities to develop accessible resources to support adoption of PLA data products and practices throughout the field. Members see synergy between an increase in availability of funding for digital equity projects and a need for consistent evaluation practices for libraries seeking funding for these projects.

What specific activities will this committee undertake over the next six months to support that alignment? (July–December reporting period only)

Are there other PLA or ALA committees whose partnership and collaboration would accelerate meeting PLA strategic goals?
We see opportunities for increased collaboration with other committees as well as a division of ALA.

The Digital Literacy Committee is increasingly addressing the increase in interest in and visibility of digital equity as a result of landmark Federal legislation that provided funding to support these efforts. MEAC believe that PLA data products can help stakeholders make strong decision about how to best use those resources. Additionally, the increase in support for digital skills development can include opportunities for public-facing data literacy efforts.

MEAC continues to see opportunities to collaborate more closely with ACRL because of the shared platforms for Project Outcome and Benchmark products. MEAC is also investigating a partnership with the Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Social Justice Committee to increase awareness about data equity – considering equity throughout the processes of collecting, analyzing, interpreting, and communicating about data – and increasing adoption of equity-informed data work.

Is there anything else about your committee experience you’d like to share?
Committee members have found their participation to be a positive experience, and we look forward to continuing to support this work in our new role as an Advisory Group. With ongoing support, we believe MEAAG and PLA can further strengthen and expand data practices that are essential to the future success of public libraries and their initiatives.

Submitted by Dan Hensley, Jerianne Thompson on 06/06/2024

Membership Advisory Group – January–June 2024 Report


The group met 2-3 times this reporting period.

After reviewing the current PLA Strategic Plan, please tell us:

Describe the current work of this committee and how it supports our strategic goals. Include work accomplished, decisions made, and any recommended follow-up actions.
(PLA Goal) Transformation: PLA works with and for public libraries as they evolve to become more responsive to and reflective of ever-changing community needs.

· (PLA Objective) Provide platforms for libraries to share and test emerging best practices that lead to active inclusion, welcoming and belonging

o The Membership Advisory Group was a strong presence in the Member Lounge throughout the PLA Conference. We helped guide people to the sessions there for EDISJ Discussion and Support and Public Library Data Discussion and Support.

o MAG also led a well-received button making activity in the space that helped spark conversation. One of the buttons that could be made indicated that this was the person’s first time at PLA conference to serve as a visual clue for those who might need extra help and a welcoming smile.

o Other activities suggested by the Membership Advisory Group included a Lunch Buddies Meetup and a Knitting Circle that helped people feel welcome and make new connections / network. These meet-ups were very popular. We had feedback from attendees that they made friends, their conference was more enjoyable and that they felt more connection to the organization.

(PLA Goal) Organizational Excellence: PLA is the most trusted and innovative public library member organization.

· (PLA Objective) Prioritize and align resources to increase membership and revenue.

o A co-chair of the committee, Meredith McCarthy, and the PLA staff liaison, Samantha Lopez, both served on the ALA Workgroup for Standardization of Division Membership Dues and solicited feedback from PLA members and the PLA Board to bring back to the working group.

(PLA Goal) Professional Growth: PLA offers inclusive pipelines and pathways for the professional growth of all library workers.

· (PLA Objective) Grow the knowledge, skills and confidence of workers at all levels within local public libraries.

o The Membership Advisory Group members regularly send personalized welcome emails to all new members of PLA highlighting upcoming webinars and other professional development opportunities.

o MAG volunteered at the PLA lounge and fielded a lot of questions about the organization and how to get involved. Co-Chair, Sarah Tansley, emailed folks with volunteer information after the conference and fielded questions from potential volunteers.

Do you see opportunities to better align committee work with those goals?
Samantha Lopez is very good at reaching out to the Membership Advisory Group to share with us opportunities to give member feedback and other opportunities to serve on projects such as reviewing conference scholarship applications.

What recommendations do you have for in-coming committee members? Are there particular streams of
work in progress to be carried over into the new committee year?
(January–June reporting period only)
The new member welcome emails are an ongoing project. We have also been brainstorming virtual networking ideas to keep membership engaged in an off-conference year.

What specific activities will this committee undertake over the next six months to support that alignment? (July–December reporting period only)

Are there other PLA or ALA committees whose partnership and collaboration would accelerate meeting PLA strategic goals?
None currently.

Is there anything else about your committee experience you’d like to share?
It has been a pleasure serving as co-chairs of the Membership Advisory Group. We have a wide range of library staff involved with the group, so it’s been great to make new connections with people from all over the country. Our staff liaison, Samantha Lopez, is wonderful. She is always there to support the group and its mission to serve the members of PLA.

Submitted by Sarah Tansley and Meredith McCarthy on 06/06/2024

Technology Committee – January–June 2024 Report


The group met 1 time this reporting period.

After reviewing the current PLA Strategic Plan, please tell us:

Describe the current work of this committee and how it supports our strategic goals. Include work accomplished, decisions made, and any recommended follow-up actions.
We are working on creating technology competencies for public libraries. We have created a universal list of positions for public libraries. The next step is to focus on each position and create a list of general technology competencies for each.

This directly supports the strategic goals of Transformation, Professional Growth, and Organizational Excellence, by providing avenues for training and growth in order to help solidify library staff's technology skills.

Do you see opportunities to better align committee work with those goals?
Not at this time – we need to keep progressing with the committee's goals.

What recommendations do you have for in-coming committee members? Are there particular streams of
work in progress to be carried over into the new committee year?
(January–June reporting period only)
We have started breaking down the work to be done in order to complete the technology competency project. My recommendation is to divide up that work, place deadlines on it, and get it done. Also for committee members – make sure you are committed to helping the committee meet its goals.

What specific activities will this committee undertake over the next six months to support that alignment? (July–December reporting period only)

Are there other PLA or ALA committees whose partnership and collaboration would accelerate meeting PLA strategic goals?
Not at this time.

Is there anything else about your committee experience you’d like to share?

Submitted by David Lee King on 06/05/2024

Leadership Development Committee – January–June 2024 Report


The group met 2-3 times this reporting period.

After reviewing the current PLA Strategic Plan, please tell us:

Describe the current work of this committee and how it supports our strategic goals. Include work accomplished, decisions made, and any recommended follow-up actions.
The Leadership Development Committee hosted the final two Stronger Together series of conversations in January with a total attendance of 90.

By hosting the sessions, our committee has had the opportunity to interact with other committees and board members, as well as the membership. Additionally, the topics selected for the series were done so to specifically align with the PLA strategic goals.

Additionally, during the PLA annual conference Leadership Development committee members led two, one-hour discussion sessions in the Member Lounge.

Do you see opportunities to better align committee work with those goals?
Not at this time.

What recommendations do you have for in-coming committee members? Are there particular streams of
work in progress to be carried over into the new committee year?
(January–June reporting period only)
No.

What specific activities will this committee undertake over the next six months to support that alignment? (July–December reporting period only)

Are there other PLA or ALA committees whose partnership and collaboration would accelerate meeting PLA strategic goals?
None that come to mind.

Is there anything else about your committee experience you’d like to share?
Thank you for the opportunity to volunteer with PLA. It has been a very enjoyable experience.

Submitted by Megan Maurer on 06/03/2024

Committee on Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice – January–June 2024 Report


The group met 4-6 times this reporting period.

After reviewing the current PLA Strategic Plan, please tell us:

Describe the current work of this committee and how it supports our strategic goals. Include work accomplished, decisions made, and any recommended follow-up actions.
Between January 2024 and June 2024 the EDISJ committee worked on fulfilling the advocacy and awareness goal of PLA. We did this by regularly meeting to coordinate a PLA Annual 2024 EDISJ program. At PLA 2024 we convened in the member's lounge and spoke to PLA attendees about Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice programming that is offered by PLA. We gave participating members flyers promoting our events. We made a survey asking what they would like to see from EDISJ. We also held four hours of roundtables to discuss members experiences with EDISJ in their city and work place. We will be reviewing the survey results during our June 2024 meeting.

Do you see opportunities to better align committee work with those goals?
Feedback from other ALA participants who were members of similar groups, such as ALA's Committee on Diversity, suggests a duplication of work and efforts. We should think of ways to align.

What recommendations do you have for in-coming committee members? Are there particular streams of
work in progress to be carried over into the new committee year?
(January–June reporting period only)
Nothing at this time.

What specific activities will this committee undertake over the next six months to support that alignment? (July–December reporting period only)

Are there other PLA or ALA committees whose partnership and collaboration would accelerate meeting PLA strategic goals?
All ALA and umbrella committees that work in the diversity sector.

Is there anything else about your committee experience you’d like to share?
We appreciate the support of our staff liaisons Mary Hirsch and Eliana Kleinman.

Submitted by Amiya Hutson, Peggy Tseng (outgoing) on 05/29/2024

Committee on Family Engagement – January–June 2024 Report


The group met 2-3 times this reporting period.

After reviewing the current PLA Strategic Plan, please tell us:

Describe the current work of this committee and how it supports our strategic goals. Include work accomplished, decisions made, and any recommended follow-up actions.
Integrating the four pillars of the 2022-2026 PLA Strategic Plan, not only did we meet to get work done to support families, we met to connect and encourage each other in our work as Librarians. 3. We continued the work of creating family engagement posts for social media on a monthly basis. Followers were able to see such ideas as a T-Rex Tea Party, Shamrocks and Shenanigans program, and family cooking programs. A May and a June post are still upcoming. This project targets transformation, professional growth, and advocacy and awareness as our posts will hopefully encourage other library staff to implement and/or start highlighting their family engagement activities.
We started a project of reviewing content from the past Advancing Family Engagement in Libraries courses to make suggestions as to how PLA could repackage the material for asynchronous learning. This project targets transformation and professional growth.

Do you see opportunities to better align committee work with those goals?
No

What recommendations do you have for in-coming committee members? Are there particular streams of
work in progress to be carried over into the new committee year?
(January–June reporting period only)
This committee will be moving to advisory status for the next year. The social media posts are relatively easy to do and are a way to highlight different ways that libraries are doing family engagement work in their communities. We also recommend that the advisory group continue any reviewing of past Advancing Family Engagement course content that is not completed by the end of June and make suggestions to PLA as to what content would be useful so that training can be shared more widely. PLA has also been awarded an IMLS grant to target family engagement in Spanish speaking populations. While work did not begin on that before the year ended, this group would be a great resource for the cohort group.

We are fortunate to have one returning co-chair and one past committee member becoming the other co-chair to help with the transition of this work, along with some returning committee members and the opportunity for new committee members to keep the conversation and the work fresh, representative, and open.

What specific activities will this committee undertake over the next six months to support that alignment? (July–December reporting period only)

Are there other PLA or ALA committees whose partnership and collaboration would accelerate meeting PLA strategic goals?
There are elements of this committee that would pair well with ALSC’s Early and Family Literacy Committee.

Is there anything else about your committee experience you’d like to share?
No

Submitted by Lisa Mulvenna and Linda Noyce on 05/22/2024

Committee on Family Engagement – January–June 2024 Report


The group met 2-3 times this reporting period.

After reviewing the current PLA Strategic Plan, please tell us:

Describe the current work of this committee and how it supports our strategic goals. Include work accomplished, decisions made, and any recommended follow-up actions.
The committee has started posting monthly on PLA’s social media and highlighting a family engagement activity (first post-12/19/23 on Instagram). This project targets transformation, professional growth, and advocacy and awareness as our posts will hopefully encourage other library staff to implement and/or start highlighting their family engagement activities.

Do you see opportunities to better align committee work with those goals?
No

What recommendations do you have for in-coming committee members? Are there particular streams of
work in progress to be carried over into the new committee year?
(January–June reporting period only)
This committee is moving to an Advisory status for next year. It would be great if they could continue the social media posting project, even if it is a part of the IMLS grant process.

What specific activities will this committee undertake over the next six months to support that alignment? (July–December reporting period only)

Are there other PLA or ALA committees whose partnership and collaboration would accelerate meeting PLA strategic goals?
If this committee were staying in its current form, it would pair well with ALSC’s Early and Family Literacy committee.

Is there anything else about your committee experience you’d like to share?
No

Submitted by Lisa Mulvenna and Linda Noyce on 01/04/2024