Task Force on Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice – April–August 2019 Report


The group met 2-3 times this reporting period.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Our primary focus has been on the 3 regional trainings in Denver, Charleston, and Chicago. Each training's first day has been led by Mia Henry followed by a 2nd half day led by various practitioners from the GARE network. The content on the 2nd day has been refined over the last 2 convening.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice

What will your group be working on for the next six months?
Transitioning in our new co-chairs and setting new TF priorities. We are hopeful the new members of our group will add to our overall capacity.

Does the group have any policy recommendations, ideas with financial impact, or other items to bring to the PLA Board for discussion or action
N/a

Do you have any suggestions for future products or resources (excluding conference programs) to be developed based on your group’s work?
Organizational assessment tool
Online library/portal for policies, interview questions, etc.

Are there other PLA/ALA committees your group might collaborate with to benefit the work of all?
2020 Census
Health Literacy

Have there been any issues related to meeting participation/attendance for any of the group’s members?
No

Is there anything PLA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
You all are awesome!

Submitted by Amita Lonial on 09/06/2019

Technology Committee – September–March 2019 Report


The group met 1 time this reporting period.

Recent Activities

First Activity
PLA technology committee met at ALA 2019 midwinter in Seattle as well as at ALA Annual 2019 in Washington, D.C. During the meeting at MW the committee decided to sponsor a presentation at Annual 19 about Code for America and the Public Library. Chair Henry Bankhead and Anastasia Diamond-Ortiz submitted a proposal entitled "Code for America and Your Public Library: How to Harness the Awesome Power of the Collective Will Using Open Data" that was accepted. https://www.eventscribe.com/2019/ALA-Annual/fsPopup.asp?Mode=presInfo&PresentationID=496228. The committee had a lengthy discussion on https://connect.ala.org/pla/ to organize and support the presentation.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Transformation

Second Activity
We are planning a program on Privacy issues for the 2020 ALA Annual conference. Anastasia Diamond-Ortiz and a number of other committee members are collaborating on https://connect.ala.org/pla/communities/community-home to organize a presentation, recruit speaker and submit a conference proposal.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness

What will your group be working on for the next six months?
Conference proposal for ALA Annual 2020 and planning for meeting before PLA conference 2020.

Does the group have any policy recommendations, ideas with financial impact, or other items to bring to the PLA Board for discussion or action
no

Do you have any suggestions for future products or resources (excluding conference programs) to be developed based on your group’s work?
program on Privacy and the Public Library

Are there other PLA/ALA committees your group might collaborate with to benefit the work of all?
no

Have there been any issues related to meeting participation/attendance for any of the group’s members?
No

Is there anything PLA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
Steve Hoffman's assistance is priceless.

Submitted by Henry Miller Bankhead on 09/03/2019

Measurement, Evaluation and Assessment Committee – April–August 2019 Report


The group met 2-3 times this reporting period.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Spring 2019 Virtual Meeting: Updates on all work relevant to committee activities (Project Outcome – new health survey added, discussed results of University of Michigan study of existing PO data, ACRL's launch of Project Outcome for academic libraries; PLDS – how the pause for 2019 will be communicated to the field as well as overview of all-day meeting at Annual to discuss changes to the PLDS; Impact Survey – PLA will now manage this initiative).
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice, Leadership, Organizational Excellence, Transformation

Second Activity
2019 ALA Annual Committee Meeting:

Discussed the following Project Outcome topics:

1) How to bring more libraries on and how to support the 10% of US public libraries already using the tool. Suggestions included an in-person presentation for COSLA, and targeted outreach to certain types of libraries that are less likely to be using PO, such as large city libraries.

2) Requests from public libraries to use some of the academic Project Outcome survey topics – in particular, space, and digital & special collections. At this time, the committee decided not to add these topics to PO for public libraries because some members thought that it was inappropriate to be measuring outcomes for space, and that if we tackle collections on the public side, we need to think more broadly than just digital & special collections.

3) Accessibility issues: PO users have reported that some patrons have trouble understanding/completing the surveys. The committee discussed simplifying the question language and response scales. PPO will be using PO surveys for their American Dream program, and we will get feedback from them regarding respondents' survey experiences.

We also received an update from Counting Opinions about the 2018 PLDS data collection. At the time of the meeting, the survey was still open, and the response rate was on track with past years.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice, Leadership, Organizational Excellence

Third Activity
MEAC members met for a special, full-day meeting during Annual to discuss the future of the PLDS. An external facilitator – GMMB – planned and led the meeting. Committee members discussed topics including the purpose of PLA data collection, future trends that may impact public libraries (facilitated by Miguel Figueroa – ALA's Center for the Future of Libraries), various target audiences' data needs and challenges, what types of data and data tools public libraries need, and how to engage the field in discussions about the future of the PLDS.

Based on these discussions, the committee has developed an agenda for a series of town halls that will be conducted during the fall to engage the broader public library community in discussions about the future of the PLDS.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Leadership, Organizational Excellence

What will your group be working on for the next six months?
A primary focus will be the re-envisioning of the PLDS. The committee will conduct a series of in-person and virtual town halls to engage the field in discussions about this topic, and will work with PLA staff to develop a new data collection instrument/platform for public libraries.

Does the group have any policy recommendations, ideas with financial impact, or other items to bring to the PLA Board for discussion or action
Not at this time.

Do you have any suggestions for future products or resources (excluding conference programs) to be developed based on your group’s work?
Not at this time.

Are there other PLA/ALA committees your group might collaborate with to benefit the work of all?
ACRL Project Outcome, Committee on Research and Statistics

Have there been any issues related to meeting participation/attendance for any of the group’s members?
No

Is there anything PLA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
No – thank you for your support.

Submitted by Linda Hofschire on 09/03/2019

Advocacy and Strategic Partnerships Committee – April–August 2019 Report


The group met 2-3 times this reporting period.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Update our charge
1. ALA mid-winter conference
Advocacy & Strategic Partnerships Committee
Committee Charge
To inform and advise PLA Board and staff on strategic partnership opportunities with federal agencies and national organizations with shared values and alignment with public libraries; to develop and support strategic relationships that are beneficial to PLA and public libraries; to capture and share examples of strategic partnerships with public libraries that positively impact communities and advance national priorities; to serve as a liaison with the ALA Office for Library Advocacy, the ALA Washington Office, and others as needed to help ensure that the advocacy needs of public librarians are represented in their initiatives; to strengthen the advocacy skills of public librarians; to work with PLA Board and staff toward achieving PLA strategic planning goals.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness

Second Activity
 Finalize intake form(s) for requesting PLA collaboration. When complete, add to this web page: http://www.ala.org/pla/about/workingwith/partnerships
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness

Third Activity
 Establish standing bimonthly committee meeting calls to discuss partnership requests (and any other business). Discussion of requests may also happen via email.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness

Fourth Activity
draft a proposal for PLA and/or public libraries to engage with US Chamber of Commerce and local Chambers.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness

Fifth Activity
 Discuss in future meetings how to partner and who to partner with: best practices for libraries.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness

What will your group be working on for the next six months?
Our group will be working on the action items listed above.

Does the group have any policy recommendations, ideas with financial impact, or other items to bring to the PLA Board for discussion or action
Not at this time, waiting for members to be confirmed

Do you have any suggestions for future products or resources (excluding conference programs) to be developed based on your group’s work?
not at this time

Are there other PLA/ALA committees your group might collaborate with to benefit the work of all?
This committee will work with any committee that will benefit PLA.

Have there been any issues related to meeting participation/attendance for any of the group’s members?
No

Is there anything PLA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
waiting for members to be confirmed for the year so work can continue.

Submitted by Sara Charlton on 08/30/2019

PLA 2020 Conference Program Subcommittee – April–August 2019 Report


The group met 1 time this reporting period.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Individual subcommittee members independently reviewed 588 program proposals for the 2020 PLA Annual Conference in May 2019. This was a record-setting total, and in order to have each proposal reviewed three distinct times, it required each member to evaluate approximately 150 proposals according a 5-point rubric system.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice, Leadership, Transformation

Second Activity
Met at ALA Annual conference in Washington, D.C. to determine which session topics to advance to the final slate of conference offerings for the PLA Annual Conference in 2020. We deliberated for 6 hours and were able to identify 107 of our 120 program and preconference slots.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice, Leadership, Transformation

Third Activity
The chair served as a panelist, representing the PLA Conference Program Subcommittee, at an ALA Annual program and spoke about ways to create a standout national-level program proposal.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Leadership

Fourth Activity
Met virtually to debate approximately 15 remaining slots with special attention focused on filling in gaps in various programming categories, forecasting emerging trends or topics of interest in 2020, and advancing those speakers or issues that have been historically marginalized.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice, Leadership, Transformation

What will your group be working on for the next six months?
The PLA Conference Program Subcommittee introduced two new initiatives with this year's program proposal form: asking the applicant if they want to receive coaching (if accepted) or feedback on their proposal (if rejected). 57% of the accepted speakers requested coaching or mentoring from an experienced presenter. 91% of rejected sessions requested feedback on their proposal. The subcommittee members, along with the PLA staff, have to develop an efficient and effective method to deliver the requested follow-up.

Does the group have any policy recommendations, ideas with financial impact, or other items to bring to the PLA Board for discussion or action
Not at this time.

Do you have any suggestions for future products or resources (excluding conference programs) to be developed based on your group’s work?
Not at this time.

Are there other PLA/ALA committees your group might collaborate with to benefit the work of all?
While we have worked closely EDISJ, I do not anticipate additional collaborations at this time.

Have there been any issues related to meeting participation/attendance for any of the group’s members?
Yes (if yes, PLA will contact you for more information)

Is there anything PLA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
No, the support the PLA staff did offer was tremendous.

Submitted by Juliane Morian on 08/30/2019

Web Content Working Group – April–August 2019 Report


The group met 4-6 times this reporting period.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Did an informal survey with committee members and other librarians. There was confusion about the purpose of the Professional Tools on the website, some content was very outdated, and many weren't even aware of the Professional Tools' existence. All agreed that unless Google pushed the PLA content to the top of the Results page, it wouldn't be found.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Organizational Excellence

Second Activity
Looked at the Google Analytics from the last year to determine the use of the Professional Tools. 57 different tools got 149 or more hits in that time period. The heaviest hitters were Community Engagement Outreach, Marketing Strategies, Programming Resources, and Careers with 3000+ page views. Assigned sections for updating to 5 committee members.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Organizational Excellence

Third Activity
Committee members worked on updating their sections and logged the hours they spent on the project. A rough estimate was 40 hours which did not include watching or listening to videos and podcasts to assess currency. Although much of the content was dated, it was hard to find anything current to replace it. This was especially true for the Technology and Virtual Reference sections. Our overall conclusion was that when an idea or service is new, there was lots of content. However, after a few years, there was nothing new on the topic. Did it just go away or was it institutionalized into library land?
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Organizational Excellence

Fourth Activity
Discussed the Hanging Sections. Careers in Public Libraries — needs constant care as a pdf on library jobs and a salary survey link was 10 years old — learned that current salary information is behind a paywall. Resources for Libraries Serving Persons Experience Homelessness — the group felt this didn't belong in the Professional Tools and thought it would fit better with the Social Worker Task Force. Post-Election Resources — very dated and another election has occurred since the page was posted — most of the content dealt with diversity and inclusion which would fit better with the Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Social Justice Initiative.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Organizational Excellence

Fifth Activity
Created a list of the inconsistencies in style throughout the entire page for Steve to "fix" on the website. Recommended that next year's group go through the entire website and make recommendations for removing, revising, and/or merging sections. Debated whether the Professional Tools should be trend spotters or evergreen but came to no conclusion. Recommended a new section on Sustainability to align with ALA initiatives.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Organizational Excellence

What will your group be working on for the next six months?
Work in the next six months will be determined by the incoming chair.

Does the group have any policy recommendations, ideas with financial impact, or other items to bring to the PLA Board for discussion or action
No

Do you have any suggestions for future products or resources (excluding conference programs) to be developed based on your group’s work?
No

Are there other PLA/ALA committees your group might collaborate with to benefit the work of all?
If the Professional Tools want to capture library trends, it might be best to work with the various initiative groups to collect and curate content in a timely manner.

Have there been any issues related to meeting participation/attendance for any of the group’s members?
No

Is there anything PLA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
No

Submitted by Theresa Jehlik on 08/27/2019

Annual Conference 2019 Program Subcommittee – April–August 2019 Report


The group met 0 times this reporting period.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Committee members attending ALA Annual provided introductions for PLA sponsored programs. The introduction script connected the sponsored programs with PLA priorities and encouraged attendees to provide feedback.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Leadership

Second Activity
Following ALA Annual, the chair solicited feedback from committee members regarding the sponsored programs and the program selection process. The collected notes were shared with Angela Maycock.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Leadership

What will your group be working on for the next six months?
This group's charge has been completed, and its tasks have been turned over to the 2020 subcommittee.

Does the group have any policy recommendations, ideas with financial impact, or other items to bring to the PLA Board for discussion or action
Not at this time.

Do you have any suggestions for future products or resources (excluding conference programs) to be developed based on your group’s work?
Not at this time.

Are there other PLA/ALA committees your group might collaborate with to benefit the work of all?
PLA Annual Conference programs regularly highlight the work of PLA committees and task forces.

Have there been any issues related to meeting participation/attendance for any of the group’s members?
No

Is there anything PLA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
Nothing I can think of. PLA staff are always responsive and helpful–thanks so much for everything you do!

Submitted by Joy Kim on 08/26/2019

Public Libraries Advisory Committee – April–August 2019 Report


The group met 1 time this reporting period.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Developed "job descriptions" for three columnists in Public Libraries. Selected three new editors: The Wired Library – Nick Tanzi; Best Practices- Krista Riggs; Perspectives – Laura O'Grady
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Organizational Excellence

Second Activity
Selected the themes for the 2020 volume year:

January/February – EDISJ
March/April – Reimagining Library Roles/Job Descriptions
May/June – Design Thinking/UX
July/August – Library as Third Space
Sept/Oct – Civic Engagement
November/December – Psychological Well-being Staff & Patrons
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice, Organizational Excellence

Third Activity
We discussed tweaks to www.publiclibrariesonline.org.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Organizational Excellence

Fourth Activity
Unveiled the re-design of Public Libraries, it is now cleaner and more modern.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Organizational Excellence

What will your group be working on for the next six months?
Developing a new rubric for the feature article contest.
Continuing to provide feedback for the website as requested.

Does the group have any policy recommendations, ideas with financial impact, or other items to bring to the PLA Board for discussion or action
Not at this time.

Do you have any suggestions for future products or resources (excluding conference programs) to be developed based on your group’s work?
Not at this time.

Are there other PLA/ALA committees your group might collaborate with to benefit the work of all?
Not at this time.

Have there been any issues related to meeting participation/attendance for any of the group’s members?
No

Is there anything PLA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
No, Kathleen Hughes does an excellent job keeping us on track.

Submitted by mary rzepczynski on 08/26/2019

Continuing Education Advisory Group – April–August 2019 Report


The group met 0 times this reporting period.

Recent Activities

First Activity
During this reporting period, the Continuing Education Advisory Group promoted the open call for webinars to increase the number and quality of submissions.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice

Second Activity
The Continuing Education Advisory Group then reviewed the submissions and graded them according to a rubric in order to recommend the webinars that would best serve PLA membership.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice, Leadership, Organizational Excellence, Transformation

What will your group be working on for the next six months?
We will continue to promote and review the PLA webinar submissions as well as any other additional task put forth by our PLA liaison.

Does the group have any policy recommendations, ideas with financial impact, or other items to bring to the PLA Board for discussion or action
Not at this time.

Do you have any suggestions for future products or resources (excluding conference programs) to be developed based on your group’s work?
I would suggest developing a revised rubric for judging continuing education submissions that evaluates the quality of the presentations and as well as the how the workshops align with the PLA strategic plan.

Are there other PLA/ALA committees your group might collaborate with to benefit the work of all?
Not at this time

Have there been any issues related to meeting participation/attendance for any of the group’s members?
No

Is there anything PLA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
Everything has run very smoothly

Submitted by Sarah Tansley on 08/24/2019

Digital Literacy Committee – April–August 2019 Report


The group met 4-6 times this reporting period.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Created a draft technology proficiencies checklist/resource list.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice, Transformation

Second Activity
Published an article " 5 Tips for Teaching Tech to Seniors" in PLA's online magazine.
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice, Leadership, Transformation

Third Activity
Presented a News You Can Use session at ALA Annual 2019 entitled "The Digital Literacy Frontier: From Broadband Access to Skill Development."
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Leadership, Transformation

Fourth Activity
Presented a program at ALA Annual 2019 in partnership with LITA entitled "Creating Tech Partnerships for Libraries Small to Large."
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Leadership, Transformation

Fifth Activity
Implemented a partnership with Microsoft entitled "DigitalLead: Rural Libraries Creating New Possibilities."
Meets PLA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Awareness, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice, Leadership, Organizational Excellence, Transformation

What will your group be working on for the next six months?
Rolling out the technology proficiencies checklist and creating an assessment tool to support it; expanding user resources for the DigitalLead partnership program; developing several educational opportunities that include a webinar, a program for the 2019 ARSL conference, a program for the Computers in Libraries 2020 conference; holding a focus group of small and rural librarians' development needs at the 2019 ARSL conference; creating user pathways for the DigitalLearn website based on role; creating a plan to keep the 85+ classes on the DigitalLearn website updated; on-boarding six new committee members.

Does the group have any policy recommendations, ideas with financial impact, or other items to bring to the PLA Board for discussion or action
We have been discussing the idea of a paid internship to help us keep the DigitalLearn classes updated but still need to work out some details. We hope to have something ready for consideration by to the Board for their March 2020 meeting.

Do you have any suggestions for future products or resources (excluding conference programs) to be developed based on your group’s work?
Not at this time.

Are there other PLA/ALA committees your group might collaborate with to benefit the work of all?
LITA. Perhaps some of their members would be willing to work with us to create an evaluation tool that libraries could use to assess technology proficiencies of their staff.

Have there been any issues related to meeting participation/attendance for any of the group’s members?
Yes (if yes, PLA will contact you for more information)

Is there anything PLA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
Not at this time.

Submitted by Monica Dombrowski on 08/22/2019